Lexington Chapter NSDAR—Lexington, Massachusetts

Lexington, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the ‘Birthplace of American Liberty’

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
     (Captain John Parker to colonists gathered on Lexington Common the morning of April 19, 1775)

On the morning of April 19, 1775, around seventy-seven Lexington militiamen under the command of Captain John Parker assembled on the green in the center of town to await the movement of British Regulars on their way to seize and destroy military arms stored down the road at Concord.

Eight colonists died in the skirmish in Lexington that morning: John Brown, Samuel Hadley, Caleb Harrington, Jonathon Harrington, Robert Munroe, Isaac Muzzey, Jonas Parker and Asahel Porter. Porter’s body was taken to his hometown of Woburn for burial. The bodies of the other seven were laid to rest in the Old Burying Ground in Lexington.

In 1799, the bodies in the Old Burying Ground were moved to a vault on the Lexington Green. A granite obelisk inscribed with their names was installed to mark the site of the vault. The obelisk is the first monument erected to commemorate the American Revolutionary War.

The Lexington Chapter NSDAR was formed on October 19, 1895, to honor the service of these men, and other men and women, who aided in the struggle for American liberty.

For more information on Lexington and its history, visit: